Supercharging Your Bug Reports
TestBash 2015 Workshop Day
Thursday 26th March 2015
Thanks to everybody who attended! I hope you enjoyed the session. I'll be posting a series of follow-up blog articles in the weeks to come.
Click here to download slides/notes (.pptx)
Below you can find all of the resources that I referred-to. You can also find photos from the "What's in a bug report?" exercise.
- Dan Ashby: Why Tea Is A Great Tool For A Tester
- James Bach: Investigating Bugs: A Testing Skills Study (.PDF format)
- Michael Bolton: FEW HICCUPPS
- Michael Bolton: Not-So-Great Expectations
- Michael Bolton: You Are Not A Beauracrat
- Michael Bolton: I've Had It With Defects
- Katrina Clokie: Different Ideas for Defect Management
- Lucas Dargis & Aaron Weintrob: How to Write a Quality Bug Report (uTest)
- Matt Heusser: The Curse of Knowledge
- Eric Jacobson: Do Bug Titles Matter?
- Eric Jacobson: So You Didn't Find Any Bugs, Huh?
- Maria Kedemo: Keep Calm and Get The Bugs Fixed
- Adam Knight: Is It A Defect? No, But It Is A Flaw
- Ian MacKinnon: Formality of Bug Reports
- Roy Man: The Secret to Making UX a Top Priority in Agile ("Cheese Day") (UX Matters)
- Claire Moss: Building Better Bug Reports (StickyMinds)
- Kristoffer Nordstrom: The best kind of bug report... is one I don't have to write
- Nicola Owen: Bug Advocacy (QA:news)
- Debasis Pradhan: How to Sell a Bug?
- Sami Söderblom: RIMGEA (overview of the mnemonic as originally defined by Cem Kaner)
- Neil Studd: EuroSTAR 2014: Tuesday Highlight - Michael Bolton (TEST Huddle) (PEOPLE WORKing)
- Mike Swieton: "There Shall Be No Bugs" Is A Dangerous Pipe Dream
- Simon Tatham: How To Report Bugs Effectively (1999)
- Aleksis Tulonen: Few Words About Bugs
- Tim Western: Clean Up Your Bug Tracker and Keep Numbers Manageable
- The Daily WTF: The Defect Black Market
"Cannot Reproduce" Bugs
- Can’t send mail over 500 miles
- Print this file, your printer will jam
- Xerox scanner which changed numbers when scanning + second article
- Can’t print on Tuesdays
- Helldivers Bug Erases Progress If Your PS4 Controller Dies
- Steve Bennett: You Don't Need A Bug Tracker
- Eric Jacobson: Don't Tell Anyone About Trivial Bugs & Part 2
- Kim Knup: Thoughts On Logging Minor Bugs
More bug examples
- James Bach - A-Galumphing We Go (TestBash 2013)
- James Bach reviewing one of my bugs during the Rapid Software Testing class
- Alan Page - How We Test Software At Microsoft (Amazon.co.uk)
- Jerry Weinberg - Are Your Lights On? (Leanpub)
Honing Your Skills
What's in a bug report?